Chapter One

September 6, 2010

I swear on everything I love, that I have never ever read anything that bored me so fast and so much as this reading. If all my professors give out readings like this I’m going to be miserable. But on a serious note this reading was extremely easy because of the fact that everything she said was practically common sense to me. Poor kids =intimidation and confinement, middle and upper class kids = advancement and more outward growth. Seriously who didn’t know that? Speaking for myself only, I was brought up in a working class family and taught that I needed to stand on my own two feet and grip the world with my bare hands. This would let me challenge everything around me which would ultimately shape me into the person that I would one day become. Which is a contradiction to the reading but it still just goes to show you that people create and control their children into becoming who they are based on what the parents believe. The only thing that I had difficulty with was some vocabulary. But that issue has been solved now. Some of Lareau’s key terms were “cultural cultivation”, “institutions”, and “class”. Basically what I understood of them was that everything connects with each other. For example your class affects your culture and even your way of understanding and defining various institutions (where they are principals or actual institutes), which ultimately affects you as a person.